Conversations on Spain 6: Charles Powell
- The “Age of Perplexity”: long-term global trends, populism, technology, economy, inequality, US vs. China, Trump, the world that Spain exists within, Spain vs. other countries, other countries’ vision of Spain
- Italy and Europe: Macron, Merkel, the eurozone, Spain’s role in Europe, (the lack of) Spanish leadership in Europe, Spaniards and the European dream, political ambition in Spain, Rajoy vs. Sánchez in Europe, Brexit, would Europe survive the re-election of Trump?
- Transition Spain: 1980s, 1990s Spain vs. 2018 Spain, long-term economic and political problems and trends in Spain, trying to explain Spain to the world, the “obsolete” 1978 Constitution, inequalities among Spanish regions, recentralisation.
- Domestic challenges: Catalonia, last year’s Catalan crisis, the trial of Catalan separatists, unemployment, the financial crisis, constitutional crisis, “almost impossible” constitutional reform, regional finance, federalism, nation of nations, national identity, immigration, two-party vs. four-party politics, what to do with two million Catalan separatist voters?
- Liberal democracy: illiberal or authoritarian democracy, national populism, global structures and alliances, supranational governance, nation states, member states, sovereignty, a new international order, Dani Rodrik’s trilemma (economic globalisation, national sovereignty, democracy), pooling sovereignty,
Guarantee independent journalism
100% readers. No ads, no spam, no political parties, no corporate sponsors. You guarantee this free journalism. Independent reporting, independent editorial choices and analysis, independent stories about Spain.
- Click on the guarantee you wish to make
- Make sure your tax country is correct
- Enter your email address and credit card details
- The server will check your card and do some sums…
- Click "Guarantee journalism now"
- That's it, done, welcome aboard, you will get a confirmation email
- You can print receipts or invoices for all your contributions in "My Account"
- Any problems or questions, email: email@example.com
Get the articles straight in your email inbox. In English and/or Spanish. No ads, no spam, just reporting and analysis. Readers guarantee this journalism. Join them.