Coronavirus in Spain: Day 28, 28,572 cases
1. Let's go. Spain is now up to 28,572 Coronavirus cases, according to both the Carlos III laboratory page and the Health Ministry page, although the Carlos III site says they are last night's data. 1,720 dead.
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 12:03 pm | On Twitter
2. Note this video published earlier by doctor @EstebanMAntona: at the Clínico San Carlos hospital in Madrid, "first extubated patient" in intensive care there. “One by one until there are thousands", he says. https://twitter.com/EstebanMAntona/status/1241471359651364864/video/1
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 12:07 pm | On Twitter
3. There are now more than 1.000 dead in Madrid alone. Cases:
- Madrid: 9.702
- Catalonia: 4.704
- Basque Country: 2.097
- Castilla la Mancha: 1.819
- Castilla y León: 1.744
- Andalusia: 1.725
- Valencia: 1.604
- Galicia: 915
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 12:17 pm | On Twitter
4. In today's Health Ministry data, there is also a national table with Spain data by age: cases, hospitalisations, intensive care and deaths. https://bit.ly/3ae9il4
- 86.77% of intensive care cases: + 50 years
- 87.57% of the dead: + 70 years
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 12:30 pm | On Twitter
5. TVE, citing the videoconference between Sánchez and the regional first ministers this morning, reports the Coronavirus state of alarm in Spain is being extended another 15 days.
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 12:35 pm | On Twitter
6. Sánchez cannot extend the Coronavirus state of alarm another 15 days without the prior approval of Congress, according to Article 116 of the Spanish Constitution.
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 12:45 pm | On Twitter
7. Fernando Simón reminds Spaniards that the cases in the figures are those that have been detected, not the real ones in Spain, which will be many more, but of some unknown quantity.
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 12:55 pm | On Twitter
8. The Chief of the Spanish Defence Staff keeps on with his military metaphors: "There are 47 million soldiers" fighting Coronavirus in Spain, in reference to 47 million Spanish citizens.
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 1:00 pm | On Twitter
9. The Secretary General of Transport says commuter train use has been below 12% across Spain for the last two days.
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 1:05 pm | On Twitter
10. Trips on other Renfe trains across Spain, including the high-speed AVE service, is less than 10% of normal levels.
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 1:07 pm | On Twitter
11. Fernando Simón says government models suggest that the peak of the curve will be reached in a few days but that discipline should not be relaxed. He admits that there are quicker Coronavirus tests for certain people in Spain, like himself yesterday, in command posts.
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 1:18 pm | On Twitter
12. The first 15 patients with mild symptoms have gone into a Coronavirus hotel in Barcelona.
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 1:29 pm | On Twitter
13. The Morales Meseguer Hospital in Murcia, the reference center in the healthcare area most affected by the Coronavirus here, has already exceeded its initial planned intensive care capacity and is increasing the number of beds.
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 1:55 pm | On Twitter
14. Due to Coronavirus state of alarm, Spain suspends the rule requiring a 24-hour waiting period before burying or incinerating the bodies of the dead. Already in force after being published in the official gazette. https://boe.es/diario_boe/txt.php?id=BOE-A-2020-3974
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 3:32 pm | On Twitter
15. The suspension of the 24-hour period before burying or incinerating a corpse in Spain is in force now for all the dead, not just Coronavirus cases.
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 3:40 pm | On Twitter
16. Sánchez speaking again. He insists on the importance of unity of action: "the war against the Coronavirus is permanent". Announces authorities to take control of nursing homes for the elderly throughout Spain for 30 days. Ex-Schengen third country travel is suspended.
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 3:46 pm | On Twitter
17. Still in the middle of current emergency, criticised for lack of material, Sánchez announces the creation of a strategic reserve of medical supplies for future pandemics. He confirms the government wants to extend the state of alarm for another 15 days, until April 11.
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 3:49 pm | On Twitter
18. "Our only option is complete victory over the virus", says Sánchez.
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 3:50 pm | On Twitter
19. Sánchez calls on Spaniards to exercise "social and civic responsibility and discipline" in the coming weeks.
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 3:52 pm | On Twitter
20. Here is the denial of entry to third country travellers notice in the official gazette, and the exceptions: EU residents, Schengen, long-term visas, health workers, diplomats, military, goods, cross-border workers. https://boe.es/diario_boe/txt.php?id=BOE-A-2020-3972
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 3:59 pm | On Twitter
21. Sánchez admits Coronavirus has caught Spain "stripped" of medical equipment.
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 4:07 pm | On Twitter
22. Sánchez talks about wanting to distribute four million surgical masks throughout Spain. Ayuso in Madrid asked for 11 million in Madrid alone. Aguirre said in his Andalusian letter that there they need 250,000 every week.
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 4:09 pm | On Twitter
23. Sánchez says Spain is "at the forefront" of taking “extremely harsh measures” against Coronavirus. The country is already suffering "an economic slowdown". Land transport in Spain has plummeted across the board. "The economic shut down our country is suffering".
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 4:18 pm | On Twitter
24. Sánchez: "The measures we are taking and we are asking of Spaniards are very harsh".
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 4:19 pm | On Twitter
25. Sánchez says he wants a European Marshall Plan against Coronavirus.
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 4:23 pm | On Twitter
26. "Europe is at war against Coronavirus", says Sánchez.
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 4:23 pm | On Twitter
27. Sánchez says Coronavirus is a crisis "that happened suddenly, that no one could see coming".
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 4:30 pm | On Twitter
28. Sánchez avoided confirming whether or not he has more relatives infected with Coronavirus.
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 4:35 pm | On Twitter
29. Madrid publishes a photo of the IFEMA exhibition centre in the Spanish capital, ready to receive Coronavirus patients.
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 5:00 pm | On Twitter
30. Madrid: "We need more resources". Spanish capital calls for more doctors and nurses urgently.
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 5:02 pm | On Twitter
31. Also in the official gazette, yesterday, on nursing homes: the Spanish government orders healthcare workers at nursing homes who have had "close contact" with a Coronavirus patient to keep working if they have no symptoms. https://bit.ly/2WLkD8n
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 5:07 pm | On Twitter
32. South China Morning Post, citing classified information from the Chinese Government: China failed to declare 43,000 asymptomatic Coronavirus cases, a third of the total, in February. https://bit.ly/2UbppKq
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 5:24 pm | On Twitter
33. BREAK Italy: more than 5,500 new cases and 650 dead in one day.
- Cases: 59,138, +5,560
- Dead: 5,476, +651
- Intensive care: 3,009, +152
- Crude fatality rate: 9.2%
- Intensive care rate: 6.5%
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 6:29 pm | On Twitter
34. Progression of daily new Coronavirus deaths in Italy over the past few days 🇮🇹:
- 12/3: +189
- 13/3: +250
- 14/3: +175
- 15/3: +368
- 16/3: +349
- 17/3: +345
- 18/3: +475
- 19/3: +427
- 20/3: +627
- 21/3: +793
- 22/3: +651
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 6:34 pm | On Twitter
35. Spain Health Minister Illa tweets a table of surgical masks he says the Health Ministry has distributed among the regions "since March 10".
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 7:15 pm | On Twitter
36. Casado: the PP will support the extension of the Coronavirus state of alarm in Spain. Says greater protection for nursing homes is a positive move.
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 7:19 pm | On Twitter
37. According to the Health Minister's table, since March 10, Madrid has received 1.2 million surgical masks and Andalusia 444,000. Both Spanish regions have denounced the lack of medical material in formal letters this past week.
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 7:23 pm | On Twitter
38. Madrid First Minister Ayuso says she is not waiting for the Health Ministry: Madrid ordering two plane loads of medical equipment. "I ask that the shipments not be blocked" at customs, she writes. These public statements clash with the government's message on logistics.
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 7:31 pm | On Twitter
39. Medical supplies: new from Canary Islands. The First Minister, Ángel Victor Torres (PSOE), also demands more supplies for his region, "that all the necessary healthcare equipment be urgently made available". So it hasn't yet been made available. Wants to do lots more tests.
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 7:38 pm | On Twitter
40. Picardo orders total lockdown of Gibraltar against Coronavirus, starting midnight Tuesday.
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 7:54 pm | On Twitter
41. Valencia announces the first move of a Coronavirus patient from an intensive care unit to a normal ward at the Hospital General in Castellón. Via @GVAsanitat https://twitter.com/GVAsanitat/status/1241802478741577729/video/1
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 8:09 pm | On Twitter
42. BREAK: Murcia announces unilaterally that the region is suspending all non-essential economic activity (food, pharmacies, etc.). López Miras announces the regional government has already signed the order: "I demand that it be executed by the competent authority".
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 8:41 pm | On Twitter
43. BREAK: López Miras says he raised the issue of hardcore economic suspension—now ordered at the regional level—with Sánchez this morning in the video call but that Prime Minister's response was negative.
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 8:42 pm | On Twitter
44. BREAK: López Miras announces that in Murcia they are using 100,000 surgical masks a week and that since the beginning of the crisis the Health Ministry has only sent 5,000. In Health Minister's table this afternoon, the Minister said they had sent 56,000 to the region.
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 8:43 pm | On Twitter
45. BREAK: López Miras says that in Murcia there are 500 patient samples waiting to be analysed for Coronavirus but they cannot do them because of a lack of tests.
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 8:43 pm | On Twitter
46. BREAK: López Miras announces all hotels in the region of Murcia are now available to the regional government for use against Coronavirus. He says the region needs 1.6 million masks.
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 8:44 pm | On Twitter
47. Murcia announces they are up to 345 Coronavirus cases, 23 in intensive care and three deaths (two older men and one woman with underlying medical conditions). There is a new cluster in a Cartagena nursing home, according to the regional government, three patients affected.
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 9:07 pm | On Twitter
48. In Galicia, Feijóo says no medical material against Coronavirus is arriving either: "hardly anything has arrived since the alert". 27,000 masks. They say they need 250,000 every week, like Andalusia. Health Minister's table said 118,000 had arrived. https://bit.ly/2WH5Hbj
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 9:35 pm | On Twitter
49. @FernandoHValls reports the central government's response to López Miras in Murcia: "an order of this nature can only be given by the competent authority, in this case the Health Minister, as the delegated authority under the declaration of the state of alarm".
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 10:00 pm | On Twitter
50. Response from the First Minister's office at the regional government in Murcia regarding the López Miras order and the clash with Sánchez: "tomorrow it is not in force". Residents go to work tomorrow. The requested economic closure of the region depends on PM's office.
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 10:24 pm | On Twitter
51. Regional health ministry in Murcia tells me that they do not plan to publish the name of the nursing home in Cartagena where a new Coronavirus cluster has emerged: "This type of information cannot be provided out of respect for the privacy of patients".
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 10:35 pm | On Twitter
52. Importing of medical material: the following pdf was prepared on March 14 for possible import to Spain from factories in China. Masks, masks, suits, glasses, and Coronavirus tests (in blood). Tonight, this material could have already been in Spain.
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 11:35 pm | On Twitter
53. The businessman who has sent me the document (and the e-mails that demonstrate the communications chain) tells me that today, from that list, only a few of the masks and glasses have been ordered. None of the Coronavirus test boxes. And look at the amounts…
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 11:37 pm | On Twitter
54. In the Coronavirus test section at the bottom, each box, he explains to me, contains 25 tests: 5,000 x 25, 50,000 x 25, etc. In total, 2,785,000 Coronavirus tests that could have been in Spain already. A week later, today, he hasn't received the order confirmation yet.
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 11:41 pm | On Twitter
55. The businessman also sends some photos of a warehouse and a complaint that is self-explanatory: the same Chinese factory in his pdf (which reached the state imports chain in Spain) is already exporting the same Coronavirus tests to Belgium. Why not to Spain?
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 11:48 pm | On Twitter
56. Asked why import companies in Spain have not acted on their own to import medical equipment urgently, the businessman's response is shockingly clear: they fear that the government will confiscate the goods when they arrive in port, because of the state of alarm.
Published: Mar 22, 2020, 11:50 pm | On Twitter
Guarantee independent journalism
- Extra podcast
- Podcast transcripts
- 20x30cm trip prints
Spain News Fan
- WhatsApp list
- Full resolution images
- Extra podcast
Supporter Of The Truth
- Basic level
- Support the truth
- WhatsApp list
- Click on the you wish to
- Make sure your tax country is correct
- Enter your email address and credit card details
- The server will check your card and do some sums…
- Click "Support independent journalism now"
- That's it, welcome aboard, you will get a couple of emails
- If you would like to a larger , please click here
- You can print receipts or invoices for all your in "My Account"
- Any problems or questions, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Get original, detailed, independent reporting and analysis of the stories changing Spain. Full-text articles delivered right to your inbox, in English. You can also choose to get them in Spanish. No ads, no spam. Just readers.