Coronavirus in Spain: Day 30, 39,673 cases
1. Let's go. Some readers express disbelief about the lack of Coronavirus data from Spain's Health Ministry on the weekend of the feminist marches. We saw it then: no update between Friday at 6 p.m. until Monday, March 9 almost at lunchtime. Look at the pdfs and statistics…
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 9:55 am | On Twitter
2. Look at the Coronavirus Excel worksheet for Spain in March: since the notification of the first death on March 4, there has been a pdf with numbers of dead and intensive care patients every day—except the weekend of March 7 and 8 (highlighted in blue in this image).
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 9:59 am | On Twitter
3. You can see here: the .pdf files are still on the Health Ministry website.
- 5/3—Update 37—https://bit.ly/3bxQxt9
- 6/3—Update 38—https://bit.ly/2vOu0Jg
- 9/3—Update 39—https://bit.ly/2UuTgg0
- 10/3—Update 40—https://bit.ly/2UekFDR
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 10:07 am | On Twitter
4. That weekend, the question was whether there was no data because of the regional chaos and because of the weekend but with the perspective of the rest of the month, the gap is obviously visible.
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 10:13 am | On Twitter
5. I see on TVE that after the Mayor of Alcalá del Valle (Cádiz) yesterday sounded the alarm in the media because of the Coronavirus situation in his village, suddenly a lot of ambulances and Civil Guard have turned up. Facts, communication, response. Well done, Mr. Mayor.
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 10:24 am | On Twitter
6. Look at this new article on the CDC site yesterday: in a study of Coronavirus cruise ships, there was a 17.9% asymptomatic transmission rate and the virus survived on surfaces (fomites) for up to 17 days. https://bit.ly/3afJQvp
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 10:39 am | On Twitter
7. Spain continues to have the steepest Coronavirus death curve in the world, according to the Financial Times chart. The number of dead here is doubling every other day.
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 11:09 am | On Twitter
8. The FT has also added a chart by region, not by country: Madrid is world leader in Coronavirus death rates, worse than Lombardy, worse than Wuhan. https://www.ft.com/coronavirus-latest
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 11:12 am | On Twitter
9. Some readers suggest the Coronavirus Health Ministry pdfs from the weekend after the feminist marches are also missing. The are there but they changed the file names a bit. Here:
- 14/3—Update 44—https://bit.ly/2xkWACi
- 15/3—Update 45—https://bit.ly/2Ue7qmz
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 11:21 am | On Twitter
10. BREAK: Spain jumps to 39,673 cases of Coronavirus and 2,696 dead.
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 11:40 am | On Twitter
11. Coronavirus in Spain: more than 500 dead in one day.
- Total: 39,673 cases, +6,584
- Active (non ICU): 30,547, +5,350
- Active (ICU): 2,636, +281
- ICU rate: 7.94%
- Dead: 2,696, +514
- Death rate: 6.80%
- Cured: 3,794, +439
- Cured rate: 9.56%
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 12:04 pm | On Twitter
12. Fernando Simón announces there are 5,400 Spanish healthcare workers infected with Coronavirus, which is 13.6% of the total number of confirmed cases.
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 12:10 pm | On Twitter
13. Progression of Coronavirus deaths in Spain 🇪🇸 over the past few days. Number now similar to Italy 🇮🇹:
- 18/3: +107
- 19/3: +169
- 20/3: +235
- 21/3: +324
- 22/3: +394
- 23/3: +462
- 24/3: +514
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 12:15 pm | On Twitter
14. Why do the Deputy Directors of Operations of Spain's National Police and the Civil Guard make comments every day on gender violence in the middle of the Coronavirus press conference? (And not on murder, theft, corruption or X).
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 12:18 pm | On Twitter
15. Spanish regions:
Basque C 2,728
La Rioja 802
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 12:33 pm | On Twitter
16. The Association of Physicians and Higher Degree Holders of Madrid has gone to court against the Madrid regional government demanding immediate delivery of protective equipment against Coronavirus, within 24 hours: gowns, masks, FFP2, plastic glasses, etc.
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 1:03 pm | On Twitter
17. AMYTS wants an immediate Coronavirus injunction to protect healthcare workers: "to perform their work in minimal safety conditions and not get infected by patients or increase the risk they suffer, and prevent the spread of the disease". https://bit.ly/2UdFOOs
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 1:08 pm | On Twitter
18. Have spoken with regional health ministry in Catalonia: jump in nearly 2,000 new cases of Coronavirus there is "normal progression of the epidemiological curve". They say that in +7,800 cases, no big outbreaks apart from Igualada. No data by Catalan province or town, city.
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 2:08 pm | On Twitter
19. Table with the progression of the main Coronavirus magnitudes in Spain: dead, ICU, active but non-ICU and cured. The daily increments and the 5-day rolling averages.
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 2:48 pm | On Twitter
20. María Jesús Montero (Finance Minister, govt. spokeswoman) speaks of "driving to victory", "capacity to resist", "individual and collective discipline", although tough days are coming. She thanks healthcare workers, police, civil guards, farmers, diplomats and businessmen.
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 3:07 pm | On Twitter
21. Montero says the Spanish cabinet has approved the terms of the first tranche of Coronavirus guarantees for business loans: 20 billion euros.
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 3:21 pm | On Twitter
22. Illa announces he is ordering medical supplies from the other Spanish regions to Madrid due to the urgency of the Coronavirus situation in the capital. He calls it "solidarity". We shall see how the regional governments react.
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 3:25 pm | On Twitter
23. Illa says he has no more data on the Coronavirus situation in Spanish nursing homes. People should call the regional governments.
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 3:29 pm | On Twitter
24. Montero says SMEs and self-employed will be able to delay taxes (including income tax and VAT) for six months, but only the first three months at zero interest rate. So that is a more or less normal postponement option, then.
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 3:35 pm | On Twitter
25. Illa again denies the Spanish government had made it more difficult to procure urgent medical supplies from China.
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 3:47 pm | On Twitter
26. Montero says the government still does not know the result of Deputy PM Carmen Calvo's Coronavirus test. Fernando Simón confirmed the other day, speaking of his own fast-track test, that there are more urgent tests for the people in charge.
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 3:50 pm | On Twitter
27. Ayuso claims that Madrid has somehow tripled intensive care beds in two weeks.
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 4:14 pm | On Twitter
28. BREAK Italy: jumps to more than 700 Coronavirus deaths in one day again.
- Total: 69,176, +5,249
- Active: 54,030, +3,612
- Dead: 6,820, +743
- Death rate: 9,9%
- Intensive care: 3,396, +192
- Intensive care rate: 6,3%
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 6:28 pm | On Twitter
29. Progression of daily new Coronavirus deaths in Italy over the last few days 🇮🇹:
- 12/3: +189
- 13/3: +250
- 14/3: +175
- 15/3: +368
- 16/3: +349
- 17/3: +345
- 18/3: +475
- 19/3: +427
- 20/3: +627
- 21/3: +793
- 22/3: +651
- 23/3: +601
- 24/3: +743
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 6:29 pm | On Twitter
30. The Speaker of Congress, Batet, announces 306 Spanish MPs have asked to vote from home for tomorrow's session on the extension of the Coronavirus state of alarm. The debate will begin at 3 p.m.
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 6:37 pm | On Twitter
31. Asturias announces 6,850 temporary lay-off requests have been made there due to the Coronavirus crisis. They have processed 1,036, affecting more than 3,500 jobs. 86% are force majeure, for two weeks. The rest, economic causes, three months.
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 6:41 pm | On Twitter
32. Valencia also warns its healthcare workers about Coronavirus information and WhatsApp. https://bit.ly/2QK8qg2
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 6:45 pm | On Twitter
33. Part of a letter from a hospital in Valencia ordering doctors and nurses not to share information about the state of the Coronavirus situation even among themselves on WhatsApp. Again managers cite data protection law.
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 6:52 pm | On Twitter
34. Warnings to doctors about WhatsApps are not only about talking to the media but also to their family and friends about the real Coronavirus situation in Spain. This happens when governments fail to publish detailed transparent information about an emergency that causes panic.
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 7:06 pm | On Twitter
35. I've been trying to get more information about the Coronavirus situation in Spain out of the health ministries for 4 weeks. People, locked down in their homes, with a possible mortal danger outside, want to know where the clusters are and what's going on, and that is normal.
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 7:09 pm | On Twitter
36. Am told healthcare workers in Valencia are not very happy with their regional health minister and are proposing a pot banging protest in their WhatsApps groups.
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 8:17 pm | On Twitter
37. Murcia announces they are up to 477 cases of Coronavirus, 33 in intensive care, 4 dead.
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 9:02 pm | On Twitter
38. Murcia announces two new deaths, up to 6 in total.
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 9:17 pm | On Twitter
39. Coronavirus in Murcia hospitals (ward + ICU):
- Morales Meseguer: 20 + 13
- Santa Lucía: 21 + 7
- Arrixaca: 20 + 2
- Reina Sofia: 11 + 6
- Los Arcos: 10 + 3
- Rafael Méndez: 9 + 0
- Comarcal Noroeste: 4 + 0
- Lorenzo Guirao: 2 + 0
- Virgen del Castillo: 4 + 0
- Rosell: 0 + 0
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 9:23 pm | On Twitter
40. BREAK: Catalonia announces another 2,073 new cases of Coronavirus in one day.
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 10:10 pm | On Twitter
41. Again today, more new Coronavirus cases have been recorded in Spain than on any previous day, and this, remember, are only the reported and confirmed cases (and not counting the 2,073 new cases in Catalonia).
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 10:53 pm | On Twitter
42. A note on the graph: we are now talking about trying to understand the evolution of tens of thousands of confirmed cases in Spain. It's not like at the start when we tracked dozens or hundreds of cases. I will put the new Catalan cases in tomorrow, to keep the comparison.
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 10:59 pm | On Twitter
43. Remember that these are the declared, official, notified, confirmed figures for each Spanish region and the national Health Ministry. Even Fernando Simón admits we are 4-5 days behind reality; according to the periods outlined in the WHO report, it might even be 7-10 days.
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 11:01 pm | On Twitter
44. One thing is the infection itself, then the first symptoms, then the first call to the doctor, then maybe go to a hospital, then wait for the test, do the test, wait for the results of the test, the hospital notifies authorities and, at some point, that data is made public.
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 11:04 pm | On Twitter
45. It is quite possible tomorrow that Spain will overtake China in Coronavirus deaths. Also tomorrow, some MPs will debate the extension of the state of alarm. What will the mood be like among the parties? Will there be tension and anger or loyalty and support for the govt.?
Published: Mar 24, 2020, 11:17 pm | On Twitter
Guarantee independent journalism
- Extra podcast
- Podcast transcripts
- 20x30cm trip prints
Spain News Fan
- WhatsApp list
- Full resolution images
- Extra podcast
Supporter Of The Truth
- Basic level
- Support the truth
- WhatsApp list
- Click on the you wish to
- Make sure your tax country is correct
- Enter your email address and credit card details
- The server will check your card and do some sums…
- Click "Support independent journalism now"
- That's it, welcome aboard, you will get a couple of emails
- If you would like to a larger , please click here
- You can print receipts or invoices for all your in "My Account"
- Any problems or questions, email: email@example.com
Get original, detailed, independent reporting and analysis of the stories changing Spain. Full-text articles delivered right to your inbox, in English. You can also choose to get them in Spanish. No ads, no spam. Just readers.