Coronavirus in Spain: Day 76, 262,783 cases
1. Health Ministry announces that there have been 262,783 cases of Coronavirus in Spain, officially. 223,578 PCR and 39,205 with antibodies. There have been 26,478 deaths and 47,481 infected healthcare workers.
Published: May 09, 2020, 11:44 am | On Twitter
2. The gazette orders for Phase 1 have now been published. The first section is almost identical to what we saw with last week's Phase 1 orderr for the four islands. Spanish government orders companies to open windows at least once a day. https://bit.ly/2SPYEdl
Published: May 09, 2020, 11:50 am | On Twitter
2. Ayuso responds to last night's PSOE attack: “that's not right”, she writes on Twitter, with another cartoon by Perdis that frames her as a kind of economic virus, in front of Illa, who has turned into a doctor willing to exterminate her with a syringe to save Health.
Published: May 09, 2020, 11:55 am | On Twitter
4. Official gazette Phase 1: “People may be move around the province, island or territorial unit of reference for the purposes of the de-escalation process”.
Published: May 09, 2020, 12:01 pm | On Twitter
5. Do we understand from the wording of this section that you can go to the beach or the mountains in the same province from Monday if you live in a Phase 1 area? The phrase “second home” does not appear in this gazette order.
Published: May 09, 2020, 12:10 pm | On Twitter
6. Churches, small shops stores, markets, terraces, educational centers, museums, film shooting, active tourism and scientific activities can start reopening in Phase 1. Hotels too, but only to sleep and eat, not to have fun in the public areas.
Published: May 09, 2020, 12:23 pm | On Twitter
7. If you can travel within the same province from Monday, will you be able to go to a beach town with 5,000 inhabitants, stay in a hotel and spend the whole day swimming in the sea?
Published: May 09, 2020, 12:38 pm | On Twitter
8. And are we supposed to be able to do all these activities again at any time of the day while at the same time only being allowed to exercise in the established time slots?
Published: May 09, 2020, 12:41 pm | On Twitter
9. Global tourism disaster because of Coronavirus, according to the latest data from the World Tourism Organization. https://go.aws/2SOfQ36
Published: May 09, 2020, 12:58 pm | On Twitter
10. In the BEST of the three scenarios handled by the World Tourism Organization, tourist arrivals fall by 58% in 2020 globally. https://go.aws/2WeFK22
Published: May 09, 2020, 1:01 pm | On Twitter
11. World Tourism Organization: "largest blow to tourism ever could slash 1 billion arrivals".
Published: May 09, 2020, 1:04 pm | On Twitter
12. World Tourism Organization: "International tourism receipts could plunge by US$ 1 trillion".
Published: May 09, 2020, 1:05 pm | On Twitter
13. Fernando Simón repeats Illa's idea yesterday, after they designed a system of territories that move through phases: this is not a race between provinces and Spanish regions to move through phases.
Published: May 09, 2020, 1:09 pm | On Twitter
14. If, as Sánchez says, “the challenge continues”, we have to act with “all prudence”, and “we need to strengthen our public health system”, is it hasty to start moving provinces through stages of Coronavirus unlockdown?
Published: May 09, 2020, 2:07 pm | On Twitter
15. Sánchez: “The state of alarm is not a political project, it is a necessity”.
Published: May 09, 2020, 2:20 pm | On Twitter
16. Sánchez, on the state loan guarantees for SMEs and the self-employed: “In principle, in principle, the approach we had is to, well, then, reach that ceiling of €100 billion”. We had.
Published: May 09, 2020, 2:33 pm | On Twitter
17. Sánchez: “If it is in the province, you can go to that second home”. Or a hotel, he adds.
Published: May 09, 2020, 2:37 pm | On Twitter
18. Spanish PM's office has confirmed to regional governments that the Health Ministry has “again” looked at the issue and that it is possible to travel to second homes in the same province in Phase 1 of the unlockdown, as Sánchez said in his statements at lunchtime.
Published: May 09, 2020, 4:01 pm | On Twitter
19. Catalonia says it has had 11,109 total deaths from Coronavirus. It has declared 60,605 cases with some kind of test and 172,150 suspect cases with clinical symptoms. This has been the growth of cases with clinical symptoms in the last 23 days:
Published: May 09, 2020, 11:12 pm | On Twitter
20. More tomorrow, thanks for reading today.
Published: May 09, 2020, 11:15 pm | On Twitter
Guarantee independent journalism
- Extra podcast
- Podcast transcripts
- 20x30cm trip prints
Spain News Fan
- WhatsApp list
- Full resolution images
- Extra podcast
Supporter Of The Truth
- Basic level
- Support the truth
- WhatsApp list
- Click on the you wish to
- Make sure your tax country is correct
- Enter your email address and credit card details
- The server will check your card and do some sums…
- Click "Support independent journalism now"
- That's it, welcome aboard, you will get a couple of emails
- If you would like to a larger , please click here
- You can print receipts or invoices for all your in "My Account"
- Any problems or questions, email: email@example.com
Get original, detailed, independent reporting and analysis of the stories changing Spain. Full-text articles delivered right to your inbox, in English. You can also choose to get them in Spanish. No ads, no spam. Just readers.