Coronavirus in Spain: Days 77, 78, 79, 269,520 cases
1. Health Ministry announces that there have been 264,663 cases of Coronavirus in Spain (224,390 PCR, 40,273 antibodies), 26,621 deaths and 48,046 infected healthcare workers.
Published: May 10, 2020, 12:04 pm | On Twitter
2. Statement by Von der Leyen on the German ruling and the ECB: "EU law has primacy over national law […] The final word on EU law is always spoken in Luxembour. Nowhere else". https://bit.ly/2zsPLzy
Published: May 10, 2020, 9:13 pm | On Twitter
3. Right, we shall continue with this same thread tomorrow. 76 days in a row is a good effort, I think, and we shall keep going, but this week, if everything goes according to plan, there will be some changes. Thank you for reading today.
Published: May 10, 2020, 11:14 pm | On Twitter
4. Health Ministry announces that officially in Spain there have been 268,143 cases of Coronavirus (227,436 PCR, 40,707 antibodies) and 26,744 deaths. At the moment, they have not published a new number for infected healthcare workers.
Published: May 11, 2020, 11:11 am | On Twitter
5. 48,320 healthcare workers infected with Coronavirus in Spain.
Published: May 11, 2020, 11:12 am | On Twitter
6. Vox laying down a guantlet for Sánchez's government: Abascal's party wants to organize a demonstration across Spain on May 23. “Otherwise, […] it will be proof that the government is using the state of alarm 'in an abusive and illegal manner'”.
Published: May 11, 2020, 1:27 pm | On Twitter
7.A new MoMo report has been published. Excess mortality in Spain up to May 8 rose to 31,152 people, or 53.6% more than expected, nationally. https://bit.ly/2WkNq2D
Published: May 11, 2020, 1:51 pm | On Twitter
8. Let's continue with this thread for now. Tourism: The Financial Times reports Ryanair has set itself the goal of resuming 40% of flights by July 1.
Published: May 12, 2020, 9:03 am | On Twitter
9. Spanish government orders 14-day quarantine for all travellers arriving from abroad during the state of alarm. That would clash with the desire to reopen tourism.
Published: May 12, 2020, 9:18 am | On Twitter
10. And indeed tour operators must notify travellers of the quarantine period before selling them the ticket. Come on holiday to Spain but only to your hotel room.
Published: May 12, 2020, 9:24 am | On Twitter
11. At the moment there is a state of alarm until May 24 or 25. With the quarantine order for travellers arriving from abroad, does the Spanish government take it for granted that it will last longer? June? July? Neither tourists nor hotels can organise trips like that.
Published: May 12, 2020, 9:36 am | On Twitter
12. Health Ministry announces that there have officially been 269,520 cases of Coronavirus in Spain (228,030 PCR, 41,490 antibodies), 48,860 infected healthcare workers and 26,920 deaths.
Published: May 12, 2020, 12:01 pm | On Twitter
13. Regarding the 14-day quarantine period for international travellers, Fernando Simón says at the press conference that other countries are doing the same and that it would not make sense to allow foreigners to travel around Spain but not Spaniards themselves.
Published: May 12, 2020, 12:15 pm | On Twitter
14. Regarding the videos of people in bars since yesterday, Fernando Simón asks Spaniards not to forget “in a week”, so quickly, all the effort that has been made and all those who have died.
Published: May 12, 2020, 12:27 pm | On Twitter
15. If the quarantine period for travellers is set at 14 days and if it is in case they have coronavirus but are asymptomatic, why not ask for 14 days of home isolation for a possibly asymptomatic Spaniard before going to a hotel (or an Englishman in England, etc.)?
Published: May 12, 2020, 12:31 pm | On Twitter
16. The regional High Court excess mortality inspection report for the civil registries in Castilla y León in March and April is out: 3,672 people died from Covid or compatible symptoms. What was the Health Ministry figure up to April 30? 1,770 dead. https://bit.ly/2YTYUvI
Published: May 12, 2020, 2:56 pm | On Twitter
17. There were more than twice the number of deaths from Coronavirus and compatible cases in April than in March in Castilla y León.
Published: May 12, 2020, 3:00 pm | On Twitter
18. The latest MoMo report gives an excess mortality figure in Castilla y León up to May 8, not April 30, of 111%, or 3,589 people.
Published: May 12, 2020, 3:04 pm | On Twitter
19. Questions to the goverment begin tomorrow in Congress at 10:00 a.m. I shall be here. What will the partisan mood be like among the honourable members?
Published: May 12, 2020, 11:26 pm | On Twitter
Guarantee independent journalism
- Extra podcast
- Podcast transcripts
- 20x30cm trip prints
Spain News Fan
- WhatsApp list
- Full resolution images
- Extra podcast
Supporter Of The Truth
- Basic level
- Support the truth
- WhatsApp list
- Click on the you wish to
- Make sure your tax country is correct
- Enter your email address and credit card details
- The server will check your card and do some sums…
- Click "Support independent journalism now"
- That's it, welcome aboard, you will get a couple of emails
- If you would like to a larger , please click here
- You can print receipts or invoices for all your in "My Account"
- Any problems or questions, email: email@example.com
Get original, detailed, independent reporting and analysis of the stories changing Spain. Full-text articles delivered right to your inbox, in English. You can also choose to get them in Spanish. No ads, no spam. Just readers.