Coronavirus in Spain: Day 81
1. Let's go. Headlines today highlight that “only” 5% of Spaniards have had Coronavirus but we are talking about 2.3 million people, 10 times more than the government's official number of confirmed cases. Will the Health Ministry use this estimate? How will the strategy change?
Published: May 14, 2020, 10:08 am | On Twitter
2. Spain now officially has more than 50,000 healthcare workers infected with Coronavirus, the Health Ministry announces in Telegram. 272,646 cases in total (229,540 PCR, 43,106 antibodies), with 27,321 official deaths.
Published: May 14, 2020, 11:14 am | On Twitter
3. Once again, the total number of new cases declared by the Health Ministry in its pdf does not add up:
229,540 - 228,691 = 849
But the Health Ministry says there are...506 new cases today.
Published: May 14, 2020, 11:25 am | On Twitter
4. Fernando Simón says at the press conference that the 5% shown in the study corroborates the decisions the government has been taking in terms of prudence and the unlockdown because 95% of the population has not had Coronvirus, there is no herd immunity in Spain.
Published: May 14, 2020, 11:52 am | On Twitter
5. Simón says they are still unclear, “neither we nor anyone [knows]”, the role of asymptomatic patients in the spread of Coronavirus.
Published: May 14, 2020, 11:54 am | On Twitter
6. Simón talks about keeping the restrictive measures in place for “a few weeks” to try to eliminate Coronavirus transmission chains in Spain, “but that depends on everyone”.
Published: May 14, 2020, 11:56 am | On Twitter
7. If there have been, as the blood test study suggests, some 2.3 million cases of Coronavirus in Spain, 5% of the population, would it be an achievement or a failure if the Health Ministry has only picked up about 10% in its daily data, via PCR or antibody tests?
Published: May 14, 2020, 12:18 pm | On Twitter
8. And if a) the blood test study suggests 5% of the population has been infected and b) the Health Ministry really has done 1.3 million tests, why are there 272,646 confirmed cases, about 21%, with PCR and antibody tests? What has been going on there?
Published: May 14, 2020, 12:37 pm | On Twitter
9. Another nearly three million unemployed in the United States last week. That adds up to 36 million since the Coronavirus lockdowns began, according to the Financial Times.
Published: May 14, 2020, 4:00 pm | On Twitter
10. Health Ministry announces there have officially been 274,367 cases of Coronavirus in Spain (230,183 PCR, 43,106 antibodies) and 27,459 dead.
Published: May 15, 2020, 11:36 am | On Twitter
11. And more healthcare workers continue to test positive in Spain: the total has risen to 50,455.
Published: May 15, 2020, 12:18 pm | On Twitter
12. Fernando Simón says there is a correlation both with cases and deaths between the blood test survey and the Health Ministry data: he adds that the real mortality rate of Coronavirus in Spain is “around 1%".
Published: May 15, 2020, 12:27 pm | On Twitter
13. Fernando Simón says people must be careful with Coronavirus tests for sale in the private market because they are antibody tests and the sensitivity is not 100%. Those same antibody tests that have led him to a favorable correlation with the Health Ministry data?
Published: May 15, 2020, 12:40 pm | On Twitter
14. Eurostat picks up the INE data point for the fall in Spanish GDP in the first quarter: -5.2%. The fall here has been harder than the eurozone average, which comes in at -3.8%. Only France has fallen further, -5,8%, with the data they have so far. https://bit.ly/2Lx4xIw
Published: May 15, 2020, 1:01 pm | On Twitter
15. Health Ministry announces 276,505 cases of Coronavirus in Spain (230,698 PCR, 45,807 antibodies), 50,723 infected healtcare workers and 27,563 dead. New spike? Fernando Simón admits a “stabilisation of the downward trend” at the press conference.
Published: May 16, 2020, 12:23 pm | On Twitter
16. Health Ministry says the total number of Coronavirus tests carried out in Spain (PCR and antibodies) has risen to more than 3 million. Here by Spanish region: https://bit.ly/365bUjK
Published: May 16, 2020, 12:46 pm | On Twitter
Guarantee independent journalism
- Extra podcast
- Podcast transcripts
- 20x30cm trip prints
Spain News Fan
- WhatsApp list
- Full resolution images
- Extra podcast
Supporter Of The Truth
- Basic level
- Support the truth
- WhatsApp list
- Click on the you wish to
- Make sure your tax country is correct
- Enter your email address and credit card details
- The server will check your card and do some sums…
- Click "Support independent journalism now"
- That's it, welcome aboard, you will get a couple of emails
- If you would like to a larger , please click here
- You can print receipts or invoices for all your in "My Account"
- Any problems or questions, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Get original, detailed, independent reporting and analysis of the stories changing Spain. Full-text articles delivered right to your inbox, in English. You can also choose to get them in Spanish. No ads, no spam. Just readers.