Coronavirus in Spain: the regional death toll
1. The total number of coronavirus deaths declared by Spain's 17 regions since May 25, the day the Health Ministry stopped publishing a daily figure, is 1,437, according to an analysis of regional declarations covering the last two months. https://bit.ly/2UTDlJ4
Published: Jun 17, 2020, 3:48 pm | On Twitter
2. On June 2, Fernando Simón said there had been 34 coronavirus deaths in Spain in the previous seven days. The sum of the Covid deceased declared by Spain's seventeen regions on that day for those previous seven days was 496.
Published: Jun 17, 2020, 3:51 pm | On Twitter
3. On June 3, Sánchez said in Congress that “Today we have zero deaths in our country as a result of Covid”. On average, in the 21 days between May 25 and June 14, there were 68 coronavirus deaths a day, according to the data published by Spain's regional governments.
Published: Jun 17, 2020, 3:56 pm | On Twitter
4. On May 25, the Health Ministry suddenly subtracted 1,918 deaths from its total and began publishing a figure of “deceased with a date of death in the last 7 days”. This figure does not match the rolling seven-day sum of the published regional totals either.
Published: Jun 17, 2020, 4:00 pm | On Twitter
5. The death figures for the last seven days published by the Health Ministry are always a few dozen (50, 35, 43, 39, 67, 27, etc.). The rolling sum for the last seven days of Spain's regional figures starts at 871 on May 25 and falls progressively to 279, 240, 238.
Published: Jun 17, 2020, 4:02 pm | On Twitter
6. In other words, in the last few days up to June 14, the coronavirus death figure for the last seven days published by the Health Ministry is approximately one-tenth of the figure derived from the sum of deaths declared by the regional governments in those seven days.
Published: Jun 17, 2020, 4:04 pm | On Twitter
7. Only the figures declared on June 14 by Madrid (15,001) and Catalonia (12,457) add up to more, 27,458 people, than the total published by the Health Ministry that day, 27,136. The total for all regions, 40,993 people, is close to the MoMo excess mortality number, 43,242.
Published: Jun 17, 2020, 4:10 pm | On Twitter
8. On May 24, the Health Ministry number was already nearly 11,000 deaths lower than the regional total. Two days later, the Health Ministry suddenly subtracted 1,918 people and their number remained around 27,100. The regional number passed 40,000 dead.
Published: Jun 17, 2020, 4:15 pm | On Twitter
9. Since April 21, the total number of deaths declared by the Health Ministry has moved constantly away, by several thousand people, from the sum of the regional figures. That day, the difference was 8,908 people. By June 14, the difference had risen to 13,857.
Published: Jun 17, 2020, 4:19 pm | On Twitter
10. The bulk of the regional total (1,437) since May 25 comes from Madrid (420) and Catalonia (609), both of which publish a daily pdf with a broad regional total including the figures from funeral homes.
Published: Jun 17, 2020, 4:22 pm | On Twitter
Basque Country: 96
Castilla la Mancha: 74
Castilla y León: 55
La Rioja: 2
Published: Jun 17, 2020, 4:25 pm | On Twitter
12. Example 1: Basque Country said on May 25 that on the 24th the total regional death toll was 1,500 and on June 15 it said that by the previous day that had risen to 1,596. So 96 more coronavirus deaths in the Basque Country since Health Ministry stopped publishing numbers.
Published: Jun 17, 2020, 4:28 pm | On Twitter
13. Example 2: in Extremadura, on May 19, the regional government reported four more deaths to a new total of 504, and on June 11 another one that increased the regional total to 511 people that day who had lost their lives due to coronavirus.
Published: Jun 17, 2020, 4:33 pm | On Twitter
14. These are the coronaviruses death figures that governments and health professionals in each Spanish region announce but it is all public data. There is less regional chaos than in February but there are still a wide variety of formats: pdfs, graphics, Twitter, FB.
Published: Jun 17, 2020, 4:35 pm | On Twitter
15. 1,473 coronavirus deaths reported in Spain since Health Ministry stopped publishing the daily figure. Here's the Excel sheet. Anyone can check the regional figures and compare them with the Health Ministry ones on the public pages. https://bit.ly/2UTDlJ4
Published: Jun 17, 2020, 4:38 pm | On Twitter
16. Today, the Health Ministry has again declared the same number of deaths. Spain has been at 27,136 dead for 11 days, according to govt. Once again, a “dead in the last seven days” number has been drawn from somewhere. 24 days without announcing a daily increase.
Published: Jun 17, 2020, 7:31 pm | On Twitter
Guarantee independent journalism
- Extra podcast
- Podcast transcripts
- 20x30cm trip prints
Spain News Fan
- WhatsApp list
- Full resolution images
- Extra podcast
Supporter Of The Truth
- Basic level
- Support the truth
- WhatsApp list
- Click on the you wish to
- Make sure your tax country is correct
- Enter your email address and credit card details
- The server will check your card and do some sums…
- Click "Support independent journalism now"
- That's it, welcome aboard, you will get a couple of emails
- If you would like to a larger , please click here
- You can print receipts or invoices for all your in "My Account"
- Any problems or questions, email: email@example.com
Get original, detailed, independent reporting and analysis of the stories changing Spain. Full-text articles delivered right to your inbox, in English. You can also choose to get them in Spanish. No ads, no spam. Just readers.