Coronavirus curve in Spain going up again
1. Murcia has announced that it will order the closure of indoor activity in bars and night clubs in the region. They will only be able serve their customers on outdoor terraces or become cafes with some indoor service but a midnight closing time.
Published: Jul 20, 2020, 12:51 pm | On Twitter
2. Active coronavirus cases in the region have risen to 158, almost the same level as at the end of May. The lowest level, 41 active cases, came three days after the end of the alarm state in Spain, and has since risen again. The Bolivian cluster is the biggest regional problem.
Published: Jul 20, 2020, 12:54 pm | On Twitter
3. Murcia also orders restrictions on the size of “meetings of all kinds” to 15 people, closes day centres in two towns (Totana and Cieza) and restricts family visits to nursing homes in Murcia city, Totana and Cieza.
Published: Jul 20, 2020, 1:00 pm | On Twitter
4. Although the text of the press release is clear, 15 people in “meetings of all kinds”, am told by regional government that this does NOT include organised weddings and communions with health security measures. They mean family gatherings, at home, informal.
Published: Jul 20, 2020, 1:05 pm | On Twitter
5. Here is an example of the labels that have been discovered in some Murcia night clubs this weekend, "to be able to stay open, thanks", to force customers to cover the cameras of their mobile phones if they wanted to go inside.
Published: Jul 20, 2020, 1:08 pm | On Twitter
6. A reader asks: “Matthew are you sure this includes bars? Or is it just pubs and nightclubs?”
Regional Government reply: "Pubs and nightclubs. What we call 'drinks bars'. The tapas bars remain as they were".
Published: Jul 20, 2020, 1:15 pm | On Twitter
7. Murcia clarifies its new 15-person group announcement: “it refers exclusively to social, family or group gatherings on terraces”. Communication failure there, compared to the initial restriction on “meetings of all kinds”.
Published: Jul 20, 2020, 1:31 pm | On Twitter
8. A reader asks: “Is it illegal to go to a house in the countryside with 24 people, all well known?”
Regional Government response: you can't do that.
Published: Jul 20, 2020, 1:34 pm | On Twitter
9. BREAK: Catalonia exceeds 10,000 coronavirus cases accumulated over last 14 days, despite a clear weekend effect. Sunday's number just arrived: 755 new cases. Every weekend since the end of the state of alarm in Spain has seen an increase versus the previous weekend.
Published: Jul 20, 2020, 2:10 pm | On Twitter
10. Coronavirus cases notified on the weekend in Catalonia:
- End of the state of alarm: 201
- 27-28 June: 210
- 4-5 July: 470
- 11-12 July: 1,117
- 18-19 July: 1,699
Published: Jul 20, 2020, 2:17 pm | On Twitter
11. Aragón (next to Catalonia) is doing worse than in March. They have notified 1,084 cases in the past four days. Regional government graph. https://www.aragon.es/coronavirus/situacion-actual/evolucion-diaria
Published: Jul 20, 2020, 2:49 pm | On Twitter
12. Cases shooting up in the Basque Country. Regional health ministry has changed its way of reporting for some reason, but they are back up to more than 100 PCR cases a day.
Published: Jul 20, 2020, 2:53 pm | On Twitter
13. Basque Country says its reproduction number is up to 2.21.
Published: Jul 20, 2020, 2:56 pm | On Twitter
14. Watch what the Carlos III has just done with its Covid data. In an update to their Excel, they have included 844 more cases between May 25 and July 12. The Carlos III curve was already steeper than the total published by the Spanish Health Ministry: now it is even more so.
Published: Jul 20, 2020, 4:30 pm | On Twitter
15. Where did the 844 “new” cases come from? I don't know. But most of them (767) have been put in July and most of them (694) in the second week of July, from 6th to 12th, and increase as we get closer to now. Conclusion, again: there are more cases than Health Ministry admits.
Published: Jul 20, 2020, 4:32 pm | On Twitter
16. The 844 new Carlos III cases have appeared in their Excel sheet sometime since July 17, which was the last time I looked at them.
Published: Jul 20, 2020, 4:36 pm | On Twitter
17. The previous day figure the Health Minsitry likes so much (yellow) in the press conferences, the daily difference in the total Health Ministry figure (red) and the figure the Carlos III ends up accounting for as the days go by (blue).
Published: Jul 20, 2020, 5:21 pm | On Twitter
18. The total case figure that the Carlos III ends up accounting for on any given day can be up to 7 times the “previous day” number announced by the Spanish Health Ministry at the press conferences and which ends up in the headlines that day.
Published: Jul 20, 2020, 5:29 pm | On Twitter
19. Illa says chief spokesman Simón will be absent for a few days.
Published: Jul 20, 2020, 5:57 pm | On Twitter
20. Illa says Spain now has 201 coronavirus clusters.
Published: Jul 20, 2020, 5:59 pm | On Twitter
21. “We are particularly concerned about the situation in Aragón and Catalonia”, says Illa.
Published: Jul 20, 2020, 6:01 pm | On Twitter
22. BREAK: Health Ministry announces an increase of 4,581 coronavirus cases in Spain since Friday.
Published: Jul 20, 2020, 6:11 pm | On Twitter
23. Here is the graph of what the Health Ministry just announced at the press conference. 4.581 more cases in Spain since Friday. Huge leap.
Published: Jul 20, 2020, 6:13 pm | On Twitter
24. They have just published today's pdf. Nearly 13,000 cases of coronavirus in the last 14 days in Spain. That is almost double the number of cases on May 25, when the Health Ministry began publishing these new tables.
Published: Jul 20, 2020, 6:20 pm | On Twitter
25. And with what we have learned today about the Carlos III data, it is quite possible that we are already above 14,000 cases accumulated over the last 14 days in Spain.
Published: Jul 20, 2020, 6:29 pm | On Twitter
26. “People should please be responsible”, Sierra says at the press conference. Is that the government's plan at the beginning of the second wave of coronavirus in Spain?
Published: Jul 20, 2020, 6:31 pm | On Twitter
27. They can no longer hide the new outbreak in the Health Ministry pdf.
Published: Jul 20, 2020, 6:33 pm | On Twitter
28. The number of cases with symptoms starting in the last 14-day symptoms that the Health Ministry began to publish in its new tables has QUADRUPLED since May 25 and has multiplied by 6.5 since just before the end of the state of alarm in Spain.
Published: Jul 20, 2020, 6:41 pm | On Twitter
29. At the beginning of this second coronavirus wave in Spain, with a more sensitive detection system (more tests for more people earlier), what should the government do to take advantage of the warning, the alert, that system is giving us? Leave it all to the regions?
Published: Jul 20, 2020, 6:58 pm | On Twitter
Guarantee independent journalism
- Extra podcast
- Podcast transcripts
- 20x30cm trip prints
Spain News Fan
- WhatsApp list
- Full resolution images
- Extra podcast
Supporter Of The Truth
- Basic level
- Support the truth
- WhatsApp list
- Click on the you wish to
- Make sure your tax country is correct
- Enter your email address and credit card details
- The server will check your card and do some sums…
- Click "Support independent journalism now"
- That's it, welcome aboard, you will get a couple of emails
- If you would like to a larger , please click here
- You can print receipts or invoices for all your in "My Account"
- Any problems or questions, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Get original, detailed, independent reporting and analysis of the stories changing Spain. Full-text articles delivered right to your inbox, in English. You can also choose to get them in Spanish. No ads, no spam. Just readers.